A great snack for Valentine’s Day
My mother-in-law always makes this delicious popcorn snack when we’re together during the holidays and we love it! I decided to make a Valentine’s Day version of it. It’s different than many of the popcorn mixes I’ve seen because peanut butter is melted into the white chocolate.
- 2 regular-size bags of microwave popcorn, popped with unpopped kernels removed
- 2 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 2 cups Cheerios
- 2 cups of dry roasted peanuts, optional
- 1 cup m&m’s
- 2 tablespoons Valentine’s Day sprinkles, optional
- 2 12-oz. packages white chocolate candy melts
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
Steps to make:
- This first step takes a VERY big bowl, bigger than any I have. Mix first five ingredients in a bowl. That includes the popcorn, Corn Chex, Cheerios, peanuts, and m&m’s. Since I needed to divide this amongst two bowls, I simply put 1 bag of popcorn, 1 cup of nuts, 1 cup of Corn Chex cereal, 1 cup of Cheerios, and 1/2 cup m&m’s into each bowl. And both bowls still ended up pretty full. I also put a little bit of sprinkles into the mix as well.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave, following instructions on the packaging. Once it starts to melt, add peanut butter and stir until smooth.
- Pour the white chocolate mixture over the popcorn mixture. I like to set a little bit aside to drizzle over it once it is on the wax paper. Stir until the popcorn mixture is coated with the white chocolate mixture.
- Pour onto wax paper to cool. Drizzle with remaining white chocolate, if you set some aside.
- Sprinkle the Valentine’s Day sprinkles on the mix. I poured it onto the mixture when it was already on wax paper so that the red colors would be more likely to show up.
- Let popcorn cool. Store in a covered bowl.
Hope you love it as much as we do! After I made it I wondered if I should have tried pink candy melts. I may have to try that for another holiday.